Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Wednesday, 27. August 2008.
Ukiah is a relatively big place, so I find a Safeway and buy a pack of croissants. I even manage to find Nutella, so that's my breakfast. Unfortunately, as in most Safeways, they only sell Croissants in boxes of 4, and since I try to carry as little stuff as possible, I push myself a bit and finish them off. I'm ready to hit the road.
I'm on 101 for quite a while. All of a sudden I hear a loud voice behind myself: "Get off the highway!"
I turn around and see a police car. I move even more to the side when I hear: "Get off the highway NOW!!"
I get off the bike. The police officer gets out of his car. Apparently, I've been biking for so long that I didn't notice when highway became a freeway. He's convinced I must've seen signs saying bikes are prohibited on the highway, but I haven't. I would have had if I had gotten off the highway and tried to get back on it, but I've been biking for hours.
He's pretty pissed off, but in the end he tells me which roads to take and I take the Old Redwoods Highway all the way to Santa Rosa.The scenery along the road is beautiful. Lots of vineyards and nice hills that remind of Tuscany. I stop to get some cherries from a fruit stand. Can you believe it? It's 27th of August and you can still buy cherries in California. Impressive.
I get to Santa Rosa and stay with Danae and her girlfriend Danielle. We go shopping for some food and then off to the movie theater to watch The Traitor. The movie isn't nearly as bad as I would have expected. Actually, it was pretty good.



No, it's not a scene from Star Wars. This is the bicycle parking lot in Santa Rosa, CA.


We get back home and play Scattegories until super late at night. I manage to win the second round, although Danielle is incredibly good at this game and beats us in the first round with no problem.

No comments: