Monday, July 21, 2008

Wednesday, 3. September 2008.
Diedre has to go to get her fingerprints taken in order to be able to teach in San Luis Obispo, so we quickly get the breakfast, take a couple of photos and split ways.


We looked normal, even cute, just a few seconds ago.



What happened?


She tells me how to get to the library in town, as I still have to check my mail and figure out where I'm staying the next couple of days.
The library only allows me to use internet for half an hour. You'd think, fine, after you're done you ask for half an hour more, but this is half an hour a day. That means that I could get another half an hour, but tomorrow.
So I cross the street and go to the County Law library. Here you're supposed to do research that has something to do with legal issues, and all I want to do is to check my e-mail. So the librarian just tells me to pretend that I'm researching legal issues and as long as I'm not doing anything illegal I can check my mail. Works well with me.
While I'm in the library I get a message from Deidre asking if I was still around, in town. She offers to ride with me for a little while. That's super nice of her.
We meet at Linnaea's at 12:30 and hit the road towards Pismo Beach.
She's all geared up with biking T-shirt, spandex, clip on shoes and all that, plus she's got a road bike that could probably leave my hybrid to suck the dust. The clip on shoes make her ducky walk look incredibly sexy, but all I'm hoping for is that she doesn't think I'm up for some racing down to Pismo Beach.
Fortunately, she seems well aware of the weight I'm carrying so we have a pleasant ride across the hills and onto the coastline.
While the sun was shining bright on the eastern part of the hills, once on the coast the weather changes completely. There's lots of wind and it's very cloudy. It looks it could rain anytime.
We get to Pismo Beach and since it definitely doesn't look like a day for going to the beach and sunbathing I suggest a Mexican restaurant.
The Mexican food is good and chatting with Deidre even better. It sucks to say goodbye but the road is long and I should get going.
I don't know if it's the weather or the food, but I don't feel very well. I bike almost automatically while my body is feeling sick. I'm trying to understand what's wrong, but I can't figure it out. I'm in the complete state of dizziness.
However, I still manage to bike without problem. Fortunately, the road is quite flat.
I'm near a NASA center when I get a message from Shyra from Lompoc. This morning in San Luis Obispo's library I found a total of two couchsurfers in Lompoc (which I figured would be a decent amount of biking from San Luis Obispo in direction of LA) and I sent them both a request to surf their respective couches. Shyra was one of them.
I'm maybe half an hour from Lompoc so the timing is perfect. I find Shyra's place thanx to my Tom Tom and by 8 pm Shyra and I are chatting like old buddies in her living room.
It turns out she also knows Kevin Seconds (of 7 Seconds) so we have a little Punk Rock chat, especially after she said she was dating the singer of Amber Inn for four years. I ask her if she knows Kent (McKlard, Ebullition records) who released all their records and she says she's been there (to Goleta, the Ebullition records headquarters) once to pick up some Amber Inn records with Scott, her then fiance.
We go to the supermarket to get some food and once again I have the chance to show my (lack of) culinary skills, this time in Shyra's kitchen. The dinner is on me, and I try my best to impress my host with some cold pasta (or popularly also called pasta salad) this time. Olives, spinach, sunflower seeds, cheese, olive oil, pepper, ... probably some more ingredients too. I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing, but it turns out quite well.
We chat until late at night. Shyra tells me she's got to be up at 7 am, so we decide to call it a day.
I hit the couch and fall asleep like a baby.

No comments: