Wednesday, July 16, 2008

THE SUMMARY

For the chronicle, the bike showed up the next day in an even more ruined box that I had to sign the reception of the bicycle with option to inspect it and report any possible damage. In fact, the freewheel seemed a bit worn off, so I went to my local bike shop, got a quotation for a new one and sent it to British Airways. In a couple of weeks I got a check on 80 euros (exactly as much as I claimed) from BA. Great customers service! Can't say a bad thing about BA (except that they have a tendency of losing baggage, from what I hear).

This whole trip was done by somebody (me) who had only been biking for 1 year before making it and had no particular training for it. The only training I've ever done is a handful of bike rides with my friend Molly and my friend Andrea, in and around Rome, the longest of which were just about 70 kilometers long - a mere half amount of kilometers I cycled on some days during my trip.
And I guess playing basketball twice a week (at least) helps with keeping in shape.

I went on this trip without particular knowledge of bicycle. I knew how to change an inner tube and put back the chain if it falls off. Everything else I've learned (how to adjust the brakes, the cable, how to true the tyre, how to dismantle a bicycle, how to replace pedals,...) I have done it on this trip (Debra, thanx for the book once again! Kyle, thanx for everything you showed me!).

This is to say that if I've done it, then anyone can.

So, this story here is to tell you about the trip I've done and hopefully inspire you to do something similar.
I've done over 2400 kilometers on a bike, one month of riding through 3 states, and never had a single problem (not a problem that really matters, that is).
If you've ever had a dream to do something like this, it's possible. You don't have to be a bike fanatic or a bike expert to do it. If such a common guy like me is able to do it - everyone can.

Here is the stuff I carried on this trip. Some of it was useful, some wasn't.
It could be helpful to people wishing to embark on a similar trip, but keep in mind our personal needs may be different.

The bike - Cannondale H-300.
I bought the bike for $ 130 a couple of days before my trip. It's a hybrid bike (a hybrid describes a mix between a road bike and a mountain bike) and its size (22"/55.9 cm) fits me really well. It could have been a bit bigger for my height (6'2"/187 cm) but adjusting the seat and handlebar I made it fit.
2 bike panniers - the side bags that you see hanging off the rear side of the bike are called panniers. There are panniers that mount the handlebar too, but I chose just to have the rear ones. Distributing the weight equally on the whole bicycle is desirable, but I preferred not to load the front size hence my choice for only two rear panniers. They cost me more than the whole bike - about $ 150. Therefore, if you can find them used, go for it!
Bike helmet - fortunately, I didn't need it, but I wore it everyday. There was not a moment I was on the bike without it. Helmet is something you MUST have if you're thinking of pursuing a trip of any kind. I bought mine new on sale for about $ 38.
Bike gloves - they may seem futile, but they're absolutely not, especially if you're going to spend more than 1 day on bicycle. They help your hands big time. I found a great pair of synthetic ones (many have leather, which wouldn't be an option for vegetarians like me) with gel based padding. Mine cost about $ 15.
Seat padding - since I'm not really into spandex shorts, I preferred having a seat padding and wearing comfortable stuff. If I had to do it again, I'd do it exactly the same way. The gel based padding made the seat really comfortable. Crucial. Cost about $ 30.
Water bottles - very useful. I had two and to have the second one I mounted an extra bottle rack on my bike. On a trip like this you never know when you'll be able to get water next so it's good to have plenty and never let yourself finish it before you've found the next place where to refill.
Traffic safety vest - I got mine from Debra and I'm sure it was useful on this trip, especially during those night rides. Mine was day glow yellow and I'd always put it on when the visibility was reduced or it was getting dark. I warmly recommend having one.
Spare inner tubes - I had 5, but fortunately didn't need any. Don't test your luck though. get AT LEAST 2 spare inner tubes before your trip.
Tube repair kit - same as above. I had one but never used it. However, on a trip like this it can prove to be essential.
Bike maintenance kit - basically wrenches, spanners, gauge tool and some lubricant. Definitely something you need to have with yourself.
Bike repair book - another thing I got from Debra. It's big and cumbersome, but could turn really useful. I used it on a couple of occasions and it's good to have it with you. Good it was in paperback, so I managed to squeeze it with my tent.
Tent - I chose to camp from time to time, so it was really useful. I tied it to the back rack with bungee ropes, just above the panniers. It partially covered my back reflecting light, so maybe a better spot on the bike could be found. I couldn't think of any, so I kept it there. I got mine at Target for about $ 30. It sleeps two and is waterproof. A steal!
Sleeping bag - took a lot of space inside one of my panniers, but there's no way I could do without it. Indispensable when camping, sometimes useful when being hosted. I'd recommend to get it cheaply on the spot and give it to a homeless person after the trip, if you don't feel like bringing it back home. Mine was just a bit under $ 30.
7 T-shirts - definitely too many. I could have done easily with 3. I would just have to wash them a little more often, but you definitely don't need 7 T-shirts on such a trip.
2 pairs of shorts - proved to be useful as one pair died near Big Sur. I'd definitely recommend 2 pairs.
2 pairs of sneakers - could have done with just one pair, but since one of the two pairs was dying already prior to the trip, I thought I'd take two and get rid of the dying one along the way. Needless to say I still have that pair of sneakers. Duct tape can make miracles sometimes. ; )
Several pairs of socks of which only 3 pairs survived - I started the trip with a handful of old socks that were about to get ditched. I disposed of most of them as I went, hence creating some extra space in my panniers that is always useful (for food, etc.). It's a good strategy to bring old clothes on a trip - it won't hurt you if you threw them away. I use this for all clothes, from T-shirts to socks, shoes, boxers and trousers. Getting lighter as you travel can put quite a smile on your face. ; )
About 7 pairs of boxers - similar to socks, some of my boxers didn't survive the trip. I got some new ones along the way, so on average there were always at least 5 pairs in my panniers. You don't need more than that.
1 sweatshirt - definitely useful. Sometimes the weather in California isn't all that like to what you see on Baywatch. Take my word for it and you won't be sorry.
Raincoat - I had a compact raincoat that folded into a tiny bag. It was useful on a few occasion, although I don't advise riding in the rain. Also, your body can't breathe underneath it, so you sweat like crazy. Useful but not essential.
Swimsuit - when it rained I used to wear my swimsuit instead of my shorts. This was so whatever I had in my shorts' pockets, like documents, maps, tickets,... wouldn't get soaked as I'd put them inside my panniers. They also came in handy when swimming in a river near Portland or in the ocean in Laguna Beach.
Swiss army knife - where would you go without a good Swiss army knife? Useful for opening cans and cutting croissants in half and spreading Nutella on them. Mine even has a fork and a spoon, so I used it to eat with. Besides, it just makes you feel a bit safer.
Pepper spray - speaking of safety, pepper spray in my pocket or next to me in my tent made me feel a bit safer. I never had to use it, but you never know. If you have to defend yourself, I'd rather use a pepper spray than a Swiss Army Knife. Recommended.
Suntan lotion - a must! When you're biking in the sun, your skin (whatever is exposed of it) can get burned quickly and you won't even notice it until it's too late. It probably won't prevent you from having those fancy tan marks on your arms just about where your gloves end or your sleeve starts and even fancier ones on your legs above the socks or where your pants end, but at least it will save your skin. Essential.
Mosquito spray - although I had it, I never used it. Not that there weren't any mosquitos, but they just weren't bugging me, I guess.
Condoms - same as above, although a different kind of mosquitos though.
Camping cookset - I rarely used it as most of the time I didn't cook my food. It depends on what kind of trip you take, so it could be useful if you decide to cook your own food.
Vitamin C - it helps with your muscle fatique and prevents/fights a cold. Never without.
Vegetarian diet supplementary pills - I didn't know what I'd be eating on a daily basis, so I carried those with me. Since I did eat a lot of junk, I'm sure they helped.
Box of band-aid - a small cut or two is unvoidable, I guess, so you better have some. After all, they don't weigh much.
Mobile phone - VERY useful. When I got to New York I got myself a mobile phone with a local phone plan, so I could use it anywhere in the United States. It proved to be crucial in communicating with people who hosted me during the trip.

If you'd like to ask any questions, don't hesitate to contact me. If you have comments, I'd like to hear them. And finally, if this tour diary has helped you even a tiny bit towards organizing your own trip, I'd love to know about it.

My name is Dario Adamic. I'm a 38 year old language teacher born in Croatia but living in Rome, Italy. In my free time I run a record label and coordinate an amateur basketball team. And I bike around - that's understood, I guess. ; )

adam@goodwillrecords.net


I would like to dedicate this blog and this trip to my mother, who has always been there for me.

No comments: