Sunday, August 10, 2008

Friday, 1. August 2008
We say goodbye to Gino from Reno in Salt Lake City and head north.
When we stop to check internet on Amanda's laptop, I grab a flat, square piece of cardboard to make a hitchhiking sign off it. Today we'll be getting to La Grande, Oregon and that's where Amanda is leaving me. She's visiting friends there and I need to find my way to Seattle, Washington.
We stop once again at Subway and make our way to La Grande where we get around 4 pm. Amanda and I say goodbye to each other at a gas station near the highway where I decide to hitchhike.
I get to Albertson's to get a marker and make my sign say clearly: "To Seattle (from Italy)".
I move from the gas station to the highway entrance and in less than 45 minutes I get my free ride.
The guy looks a bit sketchy, so I insist on having my backpack next to me. He starts talking shit about Americans and tries to convince me he's a great guy. Yeah right.
Halfway through our trip he stops at a Dairy Queen because he's hungry, he says. I use the chance to send his phone number (written on the back window of his car) and plate number to Debra, just in case. You never know what may happen, so it's good to be careful.
When he's back, he opens his trunk and makes space for my backpack. I tell him I'd rather have it by me. He insists. I insist back. He shrugs his shoulders and we continue our trip.
For an American this guy uses his hands way too much. He "accidentally" hits me a few times on my legs. Then as we approach the destination he does it a bit more frequently.
All of a sudden, while I was explaining something, he drives off the highway and into a park. He says he got distracted listening to me and took the wrong exit. Hmmmm. As we're driving through the park he slows down. I ask him how tall he is. He says "5 ft 2" (about 160 cm). I tell him "I'm 6 ft 2 (187 cm) and I have a mace in my pocket, so think about what you wanna do next."
He starts saying it's some sort of misunderstanding and in record time he gets back on track and drops me at a gas station in Pasco, Washington.
At the gas station in Pasco I get a ride in about 20 minutes if not less.
A guy with a dog approaches me asking if I really came from Italy. I tell him that I do. He offers me a ride to Ritzville, which is on I-90 hence probably easier to get to Seattle from there.
He's got 2 kids and a dog with him, so I figure this ride should be safe. And it is.
David (that's his name) is a super nice guy and we have a friendly chat during our trip that also involved his two kids. We take photos when he drops me off and he gives me his business card, if I ever need anything. Go figure, David is a detective. He works for the Portland, Oregon Police Department. Usually when a cop gives you a ride it's a bad thing (as the destination is usually a jail, right?). This time it was a good one. Thanx again, David!
I try to hitchhike in Ritzville, WA but it's already dark and nobody stops except a car with 3 girls. They're going to Alberta, Canada, but they stop to chat a bit and ask me to teach them some Italian. They genuinely tell me they'd take me with them if they were going in my direction.
So after a couple of hours I try to find a cheap motel and score one for only 37 dollars. A good chance to shower and wash some clothes.
















This is David, one of his sons and me with my hitchhiking sign.

No comments: