Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Tuesday, 19. August 2008.
The first thing I do in the morning is looking up the sky. It doesn't look promising at all, but at least it's not raining.
I get myself some pancakes with jam for breakfast and get going. Every now and then I see the sun for 5 seconds, but then it disappears forever.
By the time I get to Reedsport it's raining again. I talk on the phone to my host for tonight David who tells me I'm not far from Coos Bay where I'm headed but pretty much there's nothing between Reedsport and Coos Bay.
I get a sandwich at Subway hoping the rain will stop while killing time. Not a chance.
However, the rain is not too heavy so I get my rain gear and get on the road. I see another two bikers who do the same.
I have a raincoat and helmet but I'm still getting soaked. And everything's so wet that it appears rather dangerous riding in such conditions.
I'm glad my host was wrong because after half an hour or so I see another tiny town. It's called Winchester Bay. It's seriously tiny. I can only see a few houses and a handful of shops. I take shelter under a roof of a drive through restaurant called King Neptune's and wait for the rain to stop. The biking couple I saw earlier gives up as well and decides to call it a day and stop in this place.
I wait for a couple of hours then decide to get inside to warm up and get some food.
In the meantime David calls me to see what's up. I tell him where I am at and he offers to come pick me up. It's amazingly fortunate that so many Americans drive pick up trucks.
He comes with his big, black pick up truck in less than half an hour. We load the bike in the back and head to Coos Bay. Phew, that was an amazing save, I must say, and super kind of David to do that.
Rain is following us all the way and pretty much doesn't stop the whole night.
The house David built himself probably has the best position in the area. It directly overlooks the whole bay and the view stretches out for miles. However, what's really stunning is the house itself. This house is something you hardly see in Hollywood movies. It's 2 floors high, with an open ceiling above the first floor, huge glass windows practically everywhere, wood and marble are the two predominant materials inside the house and everything is furnished in the smallest detail with a lot of style. And if you think the view from the gigantic living room is amazing, then you miss the superlatives when you walk upstairs. Personally, I've never seen a house like this.


This is the house David built for himself.

David shows me my room and my bathroom and I pretty much get lost in the labyrinths of the house.
He has built a dancing studio in the other wing of the house and around 7 pm his dancing partner Caitlyn comes and they practice for the dance they have to perform this Saturday.
While they're dancing I wander around the house and get the dinner ready.
David and I chat for a few hours about anything and everything and I get on internet after he goes to sleep. I hope tomorrow is sunny.

No comments: