Saturday, August 2, 2008

Monday, 25. August 2008.
By the time I wake up Kate is at work and Matt is in school already. Kyla and Eddie are having breakfast. It's a slow morning. I get ready and get on the road.



Eureka, California. Nice logo, but I like that Ramones touch. ; )


Past Eureka I stop at some diner to get my daily dose of pancakes. Pancakes and blueberries and a cup of hot chocolate. What a great feeling to eat all these calories and know that by the evening they'll be long, long gone.
So I pig out on pancakes and follow the highway 101 through California hills. Right near the town of Fortuna I see the couple from Denver on their bikes.
I'm in Redwoods forest soon again. I'm taking a detour/side road called Avenue Of The Giants and enjoy the beautiful Redwoods forest. I stop to take a couple of pictures of a little hut carved out from a redwood tree and I run into the Denver couple again. We stop for a little chat, updating each other on where we've been the last few days and then take off again.
The road is pretty much up and down the hills. Finally, I reach the town of Garberville. I get a burrito from a Mexican food type chain called Aztec something and since it's still an hour or so before it gets dark I keep on going.



Just a photo of nature, near Garberville, California.


Finally, with the last daylight I get to Richardson Grove state park. There's hardly anyone there, so no one to ask where to find the hikers/bikers area. Somehow I manage to find it with help of Kerstin and Sal, who are camping right next to it. It's odd to hear British accents in this part of the woods (literally) and I get to know they are working at a summer camp for children an hour drive from the park.
I set my tent up and eat a few croissants I got myself in Garberville.
Kerstin comes by with a beer and we chat some more. It's pretty nice having someone to chat with after you've spent a day on your own riding a bike.
I head for the shower and get ready to sleep. The ground is hard, but I'm so tired that it hardly matters.

No comments: