Sunday, August 10, 2008

Wednesday, 30. July 2008.
We don't spend much time in Chicago. Amanda goes to see the house her grandmother was born. We take a few photos and hit the road again.
On the way to Nebraska I try to figure out what time we'll be around Omaha. A friend of mine has a record store there and I'd like to check it out. 
We used to trade records back in the 90s. Then he opened a store in Lincoln, Nebraska and I paid him a visit in 2002. All the records I got there got stolen in front of the infamous 99X shoe store in Manhattan, but that's life I guess. However, I remember it was a good store so I look forward to shopping there again. Nebraska may seem right in the middle of nowhere and that there'd be no Punk or HC scene, yet there were plenty of people who did zines, record labels, bands,... bought records and listened to that kind of music.
So I call Mike and get to know that he closes his store at 6 pm, while we'll only be in Omaha around 9-9.30 pm. However, Mike offers to open the store for us around 9 because he doesn't have other plans for the evening and so we roll into town around that time.
Omaha is right on Interstate 80 and it's kind of nice to see a little bit of a city after miles of cornfields. It's a city, although not an extremely big one like Chicago for example. Fortunately, we have a gps navigator so finding Zero Street record store isn't difficult at all.
Mike has moved into a bigger location than the one in Lincoln and it seems to be working well. I find TONS of records and spend about +300 dollars in the store. Like a good friend he gives me a discount and Amanda and I happily drive to Kearney, Nebraska, where our next host Anthony, lives.

No comments: