Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sunday, 10. August 2008.
Before Ross manages to prepare another "American" breakfast I suggest we make pancakes with cherries we got yeterday. It works and we both get down to work. Pancakes are ready in 15 minutes and they taste delicious. Mmmmmmmmm.
We hop on our bikes and get to the farmers market. We run into a bunch of people that we met yesterday and that's yet another example of how small Olympia really is. Well, I guess I should stop saying it, but when you're in some foreign town and things like this keep happening to you, you really start woundering what's up.
We end up at the fish market where Ross' benjo player works (oh, I forgot to say that besides running a record label Ross also plays in a folk band called June Madrona) and Ross gets some free fish and seafood. He certainly knows how to live economically. Getting fruit from his front yard, vegetables from his garden, fish for free,... What more could you ask for?

Outside the fish market, Olympia.


Ross, Danielle, me in front of their cottage in Olympia.


We get back, right in time to meet Danielle who's finished volunteering at a local coop so I greet everybody and get on the road.
On the way out I stop by a bike shop to get a little computer for my bike. It tells me the speed, the distance travelled, the average speed, the hour and I think it'll be really useful on this trip. I set it up on my bike, chat a bit with bike shop assistants and get a complimentary biking map of Washington state. I hit the road again and right before I leave the city I meet one of the people from a band I saw yesterday. I just goes to show... nevermind.
The weather seems quite challenging, as it looks as if it could start pouring down anytime. Yet, it doesn't and I get to a town called Tenino and getmyself a pizza. The owner is a cool dude of Italian origin (though he can't remember where exactly in Italy) but he's super nice and gives me free cookies for my trip.
Tenino is actually quite a nifty place. I like it. I see one of the first old cement buildings here on the West Coast. I mean first for me, not first in an asolute sense.

This is Tenino, WA. The building on the corner is the old Tenino bank.


I get to Centralia in the early evening and my hosts Summer and Tom meet me in front of the Olympic hotel downtown.
This hotel is really neat. It used to be one of those speakeasy places during the prohibition era that served alcohol and it still looks that way.
I shoot some pool, but Summer kicks both mine and Tom's asses and after losing 3 games we decide it's enough humiliation so we head to Summer's place.


Summer, Tom, me. Can you tell she's just kicked our asses at pool.


Centralia is not big and doesn't seem to offer lots of entertainment on a Sunday night, so we get some wood and have a nice chat next to a bonfire. Tons of jokes and stories and generally good times.
There are 4 dogs in the house and somehow one of them adopts me so I share the couch with him sleeping in my lap. It's only 2 and a half weeks old puppy so it sleeps like a baby and I do too.

No comments: